For those of you who have been living under a rock, don’t like YouTube or couldn’t be bothered to pay attention—Hank Green, one half of the VlogBrothers, is coming out with his first book! An Absolutely Remarkable Thing releases late September 2018, and is officially available for preorder!
While most of this book is still shrouded in mystery, here are a few things we know about Green’s book (so far):
The book follows a young woman, April, who finds both internet fame after posting a video of herself with a mysterious Transformer-like sculpture. Because of this viral video and the mysterious appearances of even more Transformer-like sculptures April has found herself in the role of international media corespondent—which isn’t as easy as it sounds.
- It will be a sci-fi/mystery novel.
- Viral video content plays a huge role, much like in Green’s own life.
- It is intended for a slightly older YA crowd.
I know this isn’t a lot to tide us over until the fall, but with what we know of Green, it’s hard to keep the fan theories from running wild. Having said that, I’ve taken the liberty of jotting down a few other suspicions of my own as to what’s in store for us in his new book.
- Cinematic elements: It’s hard to think that given how Hank Green came to fame that he won’t find a way to translate his own editing style into the written word.
- Complex and quirky characters: Being one himself Green should be able to create some characters that are far from flat.
- Fart jokes: Yeah, you read that one right. Hank has never been shy about his affinity for fart jokes, he even went so far as to try to make the title of his debut novel to spell out F.A.R.T as an anagram.
- World building: IRL Hank Green has founded one of the largest online communities out there with Nerdfighteria, if he can create this culturally diverse and complex place within the confines of reality imagine what he can imagine.
- It’s not going to shy out on the awesomeness: Just less than a year before its release this novel is already getting a huge amount of buzz, amazing reviews and the seal of approval from his brother, John Green; all factors in a formula that equals a rock-solid book I am dying to read.
Green’s novel has yet to be given a confirmed publication date for September oran official cover image.